Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Facebook

I have a confession!  Until recently, I was not on facebook!

It really was more that I just couldn't be bothered than that I was actively resisting.  But I kept getting more and more invitations from friends, and discovered that you really couldn't nose around and see anything about what your friends were doing unless you had an account there.  (Fair enough, I suppose.)

So, a few weeks ago, I relented and created an account.  And since then, I have been amazed at the number of people that I really do know that are there.   Some that I haven't seen in 40 years!  But I'm even more amazed at the number of times it (facebook) will suggest that I might know someone, and way more often than not,  they're right.  And I scratch my head and say, how on earth does it know that?

Be that  as it may, it appears that facebook is becoming (or has become) something of a phenomenon.  My friend George Hillman posted an entry on his blog the other day which caught my eye: Why aren't you on Facebook? In it, columnist Farhad Manjoo says that facebook has followed a similar evolution to that  of the cellphone - from an elitist gadget to something that is simply expected.  Facebook recently announced reaching a milestone of 150 million user accounts.

Anyway, I'm enjoying catching up with a lot of people that I wouldn't have otherwise.  There are certainly some objectionable possibilities, Mark Davis points out, you have complete control over what you do  with it and what you make of it.

No comments: