Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hosting a Website on GoDaddy

I'm going to make this short right now, and post more in future days, hopefully.

One of the reasons I started this blog was to share what I had learned about hosting a website that I've developed on a shared hosting service, specifically, GoDaddy.com. 

In reading various ASP.NET forums, I am constantly seeing posts that say something like "I developed this website, and it works great on my development server, but it won't come up at all (or misbehaves in some particular way) when I port it to my hosting service."  Which was exactly my experience when I brought up my first site nearly a year ago.  And I solved a lot of problems, one at a time, and learned a lot, before I got it running. (BTW, it's broke right now, and I'm working on finding time to get it fixed.  Soon.)

But before I do post any of those lessons, I wanted to share a post made earlier this week by Joe Stagner of Microsoft. It's a 45-minute video on
Creating, Updating, and Publishing Web applications with Visual Web Developed Shared Hosting.

In it, he goes through the mechanics of loading your site to your hosting service, establishing your database, administering your site etc.  The particulars vary depending on your hosting company (and, unfortunately, none of them are remotely close for GoDaddy) but the basic idea is there.

I was disappointed that he did not go into some of the development issues to keep in mind - things you are allowed to do on your own machine that are guaranteed to break spectacularly when you put your application in a shared hosting environment.  But maybe he will in subsequent installments.  He did say this was the first of a series.

And, if not, all the more reason for me to write my posts...

1 comment:

adrin said...

I am totally surprised that GoDaddy is also provided the web hosting services along with domain name.

How to make a website